I miss candy. So much. I have a huge sweet tooth and although I usually gravitate towards the Sour Belts & Gummy Bears when perusing through the "naughty" aisle, I also love some traditional candy bars. I can easily down 5 Almond Joys in one sitting (they're so small and adorable!).
Much to my dentist's delight, I found this recipe for vegan, sugar-free Almond Joy, posted by Glow by Popsugar. We made them this weekend. OH. MY. GOODNESS. They were a HUGE hit! Each bar has less than 200 calories while being significantly bigger than the traditional little Almond Joy bars, PLUS they have less than TWO GRAMS of sugar each! Wow!
When making these little guys, I used a very low-sugar chocolate to keep these guys low-carb. Let us know if you make it!!
- 1.5 cups unsweetened coconut flakes (also called flaked coconut)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (the top layer of a can of refrigerated coconut milk)
- 2 cups vegan, low-sugar or sugar-free dark chocolate
- Decoration - almonds, walnuts, anything else you'd like!
MAKE THE BASE:
- Put the coconut flakes, the shredded coconut, melted coconut oil, and coconut cream (would have been easier to type "coconut items", right?) and a sprinkle of salt into a food processor and pulse until combined and crumbly
- Grab your nearest baking pan, line with parchment paper, and press the base mixture into the pan.
- Freeze for 10 minutes, while you make the sauce
MAKE THE SAUCE:
- Time for chocolate! I melted 2 bars of this chocolate with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over a double boiler.
PUT IT TOGETHER:
- Cut the chilled base into even bars.
- Dip the bottom of the bars into the chocolate and set on clean parchment paper
- Dip almonds (or whatever else you're choosing) into the chocolate sauce, and decorate the top of the bars
- Drizzle the bars with more chocolate.
- Freeze for 10 minutes
That's it! Check out Popsugar's video about how to make these little yummy goodies!
Serving Size - 1 bar
Calories - 182
Fat - 17.7g
Carbs - 5.6g
Fiber - 2.4g
Sugar - 1.8g
Protein - 2.4g